Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Solomon

This semester I am taking two education classes. I have the intro to education, EDU 150, also known as, "We are weeding out the real teachers!" Hopefully, fingers crossed, I won't be weeded out. ;) My other education class is called Survey Exceptionalities. As I am learning about "exceptions" or "disabilities," I have great admiration for my buddy Solomon Powell and his precious family.

Last year, I had the privilege to spend time with Solomon every Wednesday afternoon. It was so exciting to see him improve each week.
Favorite parts of my visits with Solomon:
1. When he would  grab my hand and sniff it to see who I was
2. When f he would lay his head on me and rest for a few minute from his energetic playfulness.
3. When he would sing along with me to his rollie pollie song.
4. When he would play his bright orange recorder.
5. Telling him I would see him later and that I loved him!

 I will admit that 2 years ago I was afraid I would break individuals with "special needs" if I helped them. I was taught a great lesson watching Mrs. Angie, Solomon's mom, love on and encourage Solomon. One afternoon while playing on the floor with his brightly colored toys she said, "All of us have special needs that God gives us. We all need special attention." Needless to say, I've remembered what she said since that afternoon. Reality check! I may not have the same needs as Solomon, but I have needs that have to be met every day. If the same care were given to personal "special needs" life might actually be "normal."

After sitting through three Survey Exceptionalities classes, I have been reminded that everyday is full of "special needs." Children diagnosed with exceptionalites are not oddities.
All of us have special needs. We are all oddities.

Who doesn't love this buddy's' face?

1 comment:

Angie Powell said...

Thank you for this blog entry, Amiee! Someone told me I should read it. Solomon and all of us have been blessed by you in so many ways, too.