Saturday, December 29, 2012

Angels Unaware

"God is still in charge, and He never looks back and says, Oops!" he said as he clutched the hand of a sorrowful young lady. A man that once towered over her now reclined in a comfy chair. He was beginning to look jaundiced and also weary from the influx of visitors. Earlier that day, he had received his final dialysis treatment to treat the kidney failure that attempted to control his body as well as the recently diagnosed liver cancer caused by agent orange. He was resting easy, all considering. He spoke of times at church, church members, encouragement cards written by young children, and then he spoke from his heart.

"I'm not afraid to die. (because I know where I'm going) My biggest regret is that I will not see my grandchildren grow up and the families they will have. I hope I have done them justice as a father. I believe I have done what I was called to do," he said between tired breaths. "I believe that we all have angels, and I have seen mine. Y'all saw that I Love America program a few years back, right? When I was fighting in Vietnam, I was given a certain assignment via helicopter. Before the mission began, a young man came to me and asked to take my seat on the flight in order to take care of an urgent matter. I agreed. That mission turned tragic and every crew member was killed in the explosion. Following the incident, I attempted to acquire contact  information for this young man's family. I searched and searched. I asked around...This man was never recorded as being on the mission...or in the military anywhere. I couldn't believe it. He came to me as an authentic army officer. He never existed. I believe that I was entertaining an angel. I have stepped on booby traps, uncovered wires just enough to see what I was walking into. I know that God is good."

As the time drew near for the family to leave, the young lady asked if she could sing for him. She knew this would be her final time to visit with the man that had greeted her every Sunday from the time she was five years old, the man who would always say that he was better after a big hug and a kiss on the cheek. Fighting tears and trembling voice, she held his hand and sang Amazing Grace. He relaxed as much as he could. After a few farewell hugs, with a heavy heart, Amiee left Mr. Phil Williams to rest. He was a general in the army who has seen more than many can imagine and also tried his hand at becoming Alabama's governor, but most importantly, he is the kind usher at church who welcomes hugs and kisses or fist bumps from young children on any given Sunday morning. You never know when you are with angels, unaware.

No comments: