Friday, April 27, 2012

Lucy, Puddleglum, and Lasaraleen

My family and I established that I have been exposed to The Chronicles of Narnia since I was 3 years old. It all began when we lived in Yemen. Our nightly routine consisted of us piling on mom and dad's bed and listening to daddy do his best rendition of Clive Staples' fantastical stories.
If I am asked about books that I love, Narnia is one of my answers. I love the imagination in the stories. My mom always allowed us to shape our imagination instead of watching tv when we were younger. If you could only hear some of the crazy tales I created playing in my room...oh boy! Now, at 20 years old, I would like to BE some of those that have already been created.  I have a looooong list of those characters, but I will share 3 of my VERY favorites. They all come from Narnia.

1. Lucy Pevensie
2. Puddleglum the Marshwiggle
3. Lasaraleen the Calormene Tarkheena
I think that these three are some of my favorites because all three characters are found in my three favorite books of the Chronicles: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, The Silver Chair, and The Horse and His Boy

1. I love Lucy because of her consistent child-like faith. Jesus told us that we cannot enter the kingdom of Heaven unless we come like a little child. Lewis developed this little girl who understands blind faith. Lucy understands trusting Aslan, but I don't think "understands" is the right word. She just does it. Children are not bombarded with the weight of the world in their minds like we as older individuals wrestle with daily. They simply trust. Even when her older brothers and sisters doubt the existence of Narnia or that Aslan is ready to help in Prince Caspian, she works so hard to stand firm. In Prince Caspian Lucy believes and her eyes of faith are opened to Aslan's beautiful and majestic presence, while the others are blinded by fear. She wavers for a time because no one else believes that she is actually seeing Aslan. Can we, as real life sinful human beings, blame her? She's scared, but it is beautiful when Aslan corrects her and leads her back on the right path. She acknowledges her wrong and moves forward forgiven. How often I need to have the final word instead of letting go. I want to be like Lucy as I grow up.

2. I love Puddleglum because of his selfless heart. Throughout The Silver Chair he listens to Scrub and Jill complain, argue, fight, etc. He throws in his 2 cents of counsel and winds up being a drunk "respectabiggle wiggle" before literally stamping his foot and taking charge. As he forces his foot on the burning embers of the Lady of the Green Kirtle's fire, he demonstrates the courage I desire to have. I want to stand up and defy the evil in my life and stamp it out. I want to do it and not care about the cost. It may mean that the room will smell like "burnt Marshwiggle" for a time, but the healing process of the burn will be easier than the pain suffered because of the wrong. "Puddleglum did a very brave thing, even though he knew it would hurt him very much."

3. Now for the most ridiculous but one of the most lovable characters. I love Lasaraleen. She is absolutely nuts/flamboyant/crazy/hilarious/flighty, BUT she is loyal. When Shasta, Bree, Hwin, and Aravis arrive in Tashbaan, they must do their very best to conceal Aravis' identity. Who is A to meet on the street? She meets the one person who could give her way without realizing that she did. She meets Lasaraleen. As L goes on and on about dresses and fashion and the upcoming parties, Aravis holds her breath and prays that L will not speak too loudly for others to possibly hear L refer to Aravis by name. My favorite part of L's story is when she and Aravis arrive back at L's home. She threatens her entire household. She tells them that if they speak of Aravis' presence in her home they will first be "beaten to death, burned alive, and kept on bread and water for the next six weeks." How many friends do you have that would protect your life to such a degree? You can be crazy and have merit! :)

If you are confused by the references to stories and characters, there is a method to my madness. I am challenging YOU to find copies of the 7 wonderful books that make up The Chronicles of Narnia and read them ASAP. I'm pretty sure that between the 3 Brassarts and 2 Boswells, we have about 6 or 7 sets. Just give us a call!
 Lewis never meant to write the books as an allegorical story, but he wrote in such a way that we can see the Truth on just about every page. I have yet to stop wishing that the wardrobe in our guest room at home will take me to Narnia. I have yet to stop watching the movies. I have yet to stop listening to the audiobooks. I have yet to stop reading the books. My relationship with Narnia started 17 years ago and it's still going strong.
Here is my official challenge for you whether you choose to accept. Read The Chronicles of Narnia before the year 2012 has passed!

H&Ks,
Yours Truly


No comments: