Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Little Things

         Today after church I stopped in at our local Chinese/Japanese combo restaurant to take advantage of the 2 for 1 sushi deal. I was excited to try the cream cheese, avocado, and cucumber roll. Yum-o. While I was waiting for the sushi, I sat back and observed my surroundings. It is a typical nice hole-in-the-wall hidden gem of a restaurant. I don't think it is as "hidden" as it used to be, because my roommates and I always have a knack for arriving when everyone else does. I observed the bamboo plant on the counter, the crazy pictures of sushi on the tv they have, and Cute Little Girl accompanying her grandmother and mother.
          In the back of the restaurant there are gum ball machines and one of those machines filled with less than Dollar Store quality prizes. (Don't get me wrong. I am a huge fan of the Dollar Store, but many a toy has broken shortly after my initial purchase.) As Cute Little Girl and her mother played while waiting for their sushi, they ended up around the machines with a couple of quarters. The first prize Cute Little Girl won was one of those birthstone rings that turn your finger green. Elated though she was, her mother had one more quarter. They talked through her options, and Cute Little Girl decided to get another less than Dollar Store quality prize. Cute Little Girl pointed to the one she wanted. Her mother replied saying that there isn't a guarantee her prize will be the exact item she wants.
           They put that fateful quarter in and turned the handle. Cute Little Girl's mom opened the plastic holder and became excited over the prize even though it wasn't the one Cute Little Girl desired. I was one of those jelly substance strings with an animal attached to the end that are loads of fun to children but end gross and thrown in the trash. For the moment, the mom's face lit up with excitement and so did Cute Little Girl's. They stuck it to the table and giggled as they did so.
           I just sat there and pondered how happy Cute Little Girl was with the prize she didn't want. The little thing she won became the biggest thing she appreciated at that moment. How easily I forget the little things that make life important. The little text my mom sends me in the mornings telling me she's praying for me, the little gifts my sister makes for me from a pinterest find, the little notes my roommate sticks all around my room, the little 130 piece :) toolset my dad buys for me to keep me prepared when he isn't around to fix my problems, the little promises of God that whisper peace to my soul, etc.
Here is a little note of encouragement. Next time you encounter something "little," step back and see if it is actually little or a big treasure that will keep you content.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Love it.

Gracie said...

Love this, Amiee. So encouraging.